Blue Tablecloth

I used to sell my cherries with some other people. They brought apples and strawberries and grapes - we had a whole stall covered with fruit and we sold loads of it and shared everything.

Then I decided that, despite having a share in the wealth of the joint fruit table, I would prefer to sell my cherries alone.
The other people were a bit confused about this decision, and - weirdly - refused to let me continue to have a share of their profits.

So I set up my cherry stall across the road. And now I get very exotic, loud and important people shopping at my table. There is a lot of haggling. Sales are down, but despite not being the tastiest, biggest, or rarest cherries in the world, I know that soon everyone will realise how amazing they are, just because I grew them, all on my own, and my fruit will fly off the table.

Sometimes I let them take my best cherries for almost nothing. It's called a Strong Negotiating Hand. I have all of the power in this scenario, and my conviction is paying off. They have offered to let me sell their cherries, as long as I pay them to cut down my orchards, sell them my land and pay them rent. That seems like  reasonable offer.

I have noticed that the other fruit sellers are still together. They shrug at me sometimes, but I ignore them.

My blue tablecloth is the envy of the world.

Comments