Aloud and proud

It's entirely possible that you may have missed the resurgence that is taking place in the world of performance poetry.  I'm not claiming to be the most educated about it, but I do at least have a Scroobius Pip CD; so there's that.

Poetry - as far as I am concerned (and I'm certainly no expert) - is all about truth.  If you don't lay your soul bare when you write a poem then you're probably doing it wrong.  Unless it's a limerick.

Today I've come across two wonderful poems, both about Trayvon Martin, a teenager shot and killed by George Zimmerman in Florida in July this year.  This is one of those hideous cases where it looks as though the complexity (or mismanagement? Probably not my place to comment...) of Florida law has completely hamstrung the jury, and there's no sign of justice for Trayvon, or peace for his family.

So people who are better at this stuff than myself have written poems, got people involved, stood up for their convictions, stood up for a murdered child, and stood up to injustice.  Poems are powerful truths, and I would encourage you to get as many people to listen to these as possible.  They are sad, they are beautiful, and they are incredibly thought provoking.

So here is "Little Black Boy Wonder" by Omari Hardwick:



And here is a link to "He Saw A Hooded Figure / Know Just This" by Mark "Mr T" Thompson.

Play them and then share them.  The world isn't always a beautiful place; so it's a good job we have some beautiful poets.

Comments